Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dachau Liberation Day

April 29 happens to be my birthday, but I no longer regard this as something to be celebrated. I choose instead to remember it as the anniversary of the liberation of Dachau, 63 years ago today. For information and images I suggest having a look at the following websites (not an exhaustive list):
There are, of course, many more that can be found easily by an Internet search. These include personal accounts of survivors, witnesses, and liberators. The above sites and many others are also entries to expanded viewpoints, including histories of other camps, the Holocaust, and World War 2. Thinly disguised revisionist/denial sites are also available. It's worth noting that there are a number of misunderstandings and controversies surrounding what went on at Dachau before and during the liberation, but I think this is a good time just to acknowledge the enormity of the Holocaust and the camps, as well as what it took to put an end to them; to celebrate the historical fact of liberation, and leave some of the details for another day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated (now) Birthday Steve.
Wish I could be over there and buy you a drink or two (I wouldn't have the time for you to drink more than that).
I do hope you had a bit of a celebration, and that all is going well.
All the best,
Carsten

May 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home