Sunday, February 24, 2008

Denmark Day 24

I had to go back to NH for 10 days, so up to this point I've really only been living in København for a couple of weeks. My main accomplishments (outside of work) have been to find a place to buy some decent fresh bread (not that difficult), have another great dinner with friends, download Skype, and talk to my daughter. Oh yeah, and sample some of this year's Påskebryg ("Easter Brew"), which, according to the Carlsberg/Tuborg web-site, "is a well-loved part of the Danish Easter. Its launch day – which is always a Friday in early March (I do note it's still February, so the web-site appears to be mistaken about the "always") - is widely known as P-Day or Påskebryg Day." Okay, I'm not a beer connoisseur, but it was reasonably tasty; if it's good enough for the Danes I know, it's good enough for me.
Aside from that, I'm starting to get used to checking the streets for bicycles, not just cars, when I jaywalk. Forget the cars, man, when you step off the curb here, the first thing you are stepping into is the bike lane. Before you get onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street, there is the bike lane going the opposite way. They come fast, sometimes they come in flocks, and getting hit by one or several is definitely going to hurt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Steven

Are you the same Steven Levery that wrote "Steinitz" about ten years ago for the Greensoro Review? I'm editing an anthology of chess fiction, and I'm trying to contact the author. If you're the guy I'm looking for (or not) could you please write back and let me know. Thanks. My email is howard.goldowsky@yahoo.com.

February 28, 2008 at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home